A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Friday, March 20, 2015

Ancient Coin Review 70 : Possible Sultan Zainal Abidin Bin Mansur Shah of Terengganu Sultanate Coin? (1793-1808 CE)



This is an undated pitis coin which I believed from Sultanate Terengganu from late 18th Century or early 19th Century. I could decipher the writing on the obverse about 80% however the reverse is totally indecipherable. The obverse is I am not mistaken written in Arabic, " Sultan Zainal Abidin Mansur Syah"
Searching from some Coin Catalogs & history books, I couldnt find any coin similar to the one in question. But the name of the Sultan existed in Sultan Terengganu Lineage which is Sultan Zainal Abidin Shah II ( 1793-1808CE) and his father is Sultan Mansur Shah I. Hence could it be that the name of the Sultan of this coin referring to him as Sultan Zainal Abidin (bin) Mansur Shah? I open this theory to any comments.

Terengganu was an important trading centre in the 13th Century. Later it became a vassal state of the Majapahit Empire of Java. By the end of the 14th Century, a Muslim community is known to have flourished in Terengganu. Subsequently, it became a tributary state of the Malacca Empire in the 15th Century.After the fall of Malacca Empire, Terengganu was claimed by the Johor Empire as part of the territories inherited from the former Malacca Empire.In the 17th Century, Johor ruler's brother was proclaimed as the first ruler of Terengganu. ( from Saran Singh's)
 

Obv: Sultan Za..nal... .... Mansur Shah ( Sultan Zainal Abidin Bin Mansur Shah?)
Rev: indecipherible
Weight : 0.56gm
Dim : 02mm
Rarity : Unique
Denom : Pitis
Material : Tin
Reference : RRR

No comments:

Post a Comment