A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Book Review 11 : The Encyclopaedia of The Coins of Malaysia Singapore and Brunei 1400-1967 by Saran Singh




Book Info :

Title : The Encyclopaedia of The Coins of Malaysia Singapore and Brunei 1400-1967
Author : Saran Singh
Publisher : A Malaysia Numismatic Society Publication, Kuala Lumpur
Printer :
Pages : 604 pages
ISBN :

Book Review :

This is one of the best & complete references on Malaysia Singapore Brunei coin & history. This is the first book I will refer to whenever I want do research on Malay coins. Although it was first published in 1996 and some data might be out of date, in general its still the best reference book.
The title of this book is arranged by the states in Malaysia, then Singapore & Brunei. Under each title, Dr Saran arranged the coins chronologically with short history at the beginning.  Although the coins pictures are in black & white , they still give clear detail of the coin. Some coins are in sketches ( probably the drawback of this book) and certain information about the coins are outdated.
This book comes with a complete price list and it helps me a lot in buying coins. However some coins prices are not valid anymore and sellers tend to use this price list to mark up the price.
In general this book is always recommended to beginner & expert alike in learning history of Malaysian coin. I wish Dr Saran or Malaysia Numismatic Society will publish a revised book similar to this one with better photographs & updated information & price list.
See another book about Malaysian Numismatic :
Malaysian Numismatic Heritage Catalog 

No comments:

Post a Comment