A journey to search my soul

This is a blog of my personal collections. The purpose of this blog is to educate myself and public in regards to antiquities especially related to religion and calligraphy. I welcome everyone to input their feedback in this blog which they think would be helpful. I do not watermark the photos in this blog so everyone is free to use them as long as they are not used for illegal and unethical reasons. I appreciate if you could notify me if you plan to use any of the photos here. Enjoy browsing!!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Ancient Manuscript Review 73 : Antique Malay/Javanese Quran ( 19th century)




 
This is a handwritten Quran manuscript originated from South East Asia. The frontispieces, centrepieces & finishpieces design are typical of Javanese. The cover is made of thin brownish leather and is glued on a hard board. This is a complete Quran without any missing page. The illuminations were poorly executed and probably a later addition. I acquired this manuscript from a friend in Indonesia last year.



Manuscript Specs Item : Antique Malay Javanese Quran
Manuscript Content : Quran
Dim : 14" x 9.5" x 3"
Date : 18-19th century
Copyist : anonymous
Origin : Java island South East Asia
Calligraphy : Malay ?
Design : Written in Malay scripts in red & black
Purchased Price :US

No comments:

Post a Comment